Are you ready to chart a course for your legal career that deviates from the traditional path? If the answer is yes, there has never been a better time. The legal winds are changing from AI-powered legal tools to roles that didn’t exist five years ago.
On this episode of Cockpit Counsel, Tim Parilla, Chief Legal Officer at LinkSquares, sits down with Erin Dunn, Adviser to In-House Legal Teams, to talk about career pivots and the skills you need to succeed working in-house.
- 00:00 Introduction
- 00:45 What is your preflight ritual?
- 01:49 Tell us a little bit about your background and what brought you to Priori?
- 04:28 So in your new role, are you starting the account management function?
- 05:07 Tell us a bit about Priori legal
- 06:47 How long as Priori been around?
- 09:01 What does the future of AI look like within the legal profession?
- 14:41 How has your thinking evolved over time as your career has progressed?
- 19:01 What advice do you have for those interested in navigating into a new career path?
- 21:51 How did your accounting background help you in your career as a lawyer?
- 26:27 How have your experiences in the consulting world helped you? Was it more difficult being on the forensic accounting side?
- 30:06 How do you communicate differently with lawyers versus nonlawyers?
- 34:04 How to build a foundation of trust in an in-house legal environment
- 38:09 As a forensic accountant, how often did you encounter one mistake that would result in a catastrophic event for the client?
- 40:00 What is one career option that you wish you knew about earlier?
- 42:20 If you were between two roles, how would you make a final decision? Is there a deal breaker you look for when it comes to professional development?
- 44:05 What advice would you give someone on how to find a mentor?