There are certain traits that can make or break your success, especially when you’re working in-house at a startup. From effective decision-making to understanding the regulations in your space, the list of skills you need to excel can seem never-ending.
We’re here to help on this episode of Cockpit Counsel with host Tim Parilla, CLO at LinkSquares, and Faraz Rana, previous CLO, and part of the founding team at Bread. Faraz saw the company through a time of rapid growth and is here to share his perspective on what it takes to be a successful in-house legal leader.
- Skills you need when transitioning from a law firm to an in-house legal professional
- How the GC/CLO role evolves as the company grows and matures
- Why making and sticking to a decision pays off
- And more!
- 0:52: Introductions and Faraz’s pre-flight ritual.
- 5:27: Faraz’s career path from a large law firm, to working in-house.
- 9:11: The transition into the startup world and the importance of taking accountability, having an opinion, and proposing solutions.
- 12:36: How did you see your role as CLO change as the company grew?
- 17:28: Think of yourself as a brand.
- 21:39: How do you balance legal responsibilities with broader business goals?
- 29:51: What Faraz is working on now.
- 37:24: How to deal with pushback from the business as a compliance function?
- 40:35: Advice for building out a compliance program from scratch?
- 43:10: What is your leadership style and how has it changed over time?