In this episode of Cockpit Counsel, Tim Parilla sits down with Shawn Hoyt, Vice President, Commercial within the legal team at OutSystems. Shawn brings a wealth of experience from various roles and dives deep into the secrets of building and managing a successful deal desk. He also shares invaluable tips on staying motivated in every aspect of life, both personally and professionally. Tune in for an inspiring conversation filled with wisdom!
- The importance of expressing curiosity in the business
- Transforming how the deal desk operates as the business grows
- Challenges and opportunities that come with leading non-legal teams
- And more!
- 00:48 What is your preflight ritual?
- 02:12 Tell us a bit about your career path
- 05:38 When you started at OutSystems, what was the customer and employee base?
- 08:06 How have you changed the way the deal desk operates as the business has scaled?
- 11:45 How do you approach different deal thresholds?
- 13:09 What was the most difficult adjustment to managing a team of non-lawyers for the first time?
- 16:47 What was your biggest challenge as a COO?
- 24:12 Let’s talk about your fitness journey.
- 26:45 What drew you to Spartan racing?
- 32:52 What is your number one tip for maintaining motivation, personally and professionally?
- 34:31 How does your mindset help you lead and develop your team professionally?
- 37:41 What is your hot take about working in-house?